August 1st – Lets start this all of with a simple exercise that has been suggested on this blog before; write a list of at least five things about yourself that you love and tuck that list away somewhere for the next time you’re feeling down. I tend to make a new list/add to an old one every week or so – its a really quick & easy self-esteem boost.
I did a little digging to find the original post that I did on this to provide a bit more background. Here it is:
In preparation for the day ahead (Mondays always seem to be just a little painful by nature… no matter how well they go.) let’s do a little something to pick up our moods. Take out a piece of paper and a pen (or open an empty word document) and find ten or so minutes to spend on this. Now, list everything you can for each topic in two minutes…
- Things you LOVE about yourself.
- Personal accomplishments.
- People who love you for who you are.
- Good things that have happened recently.
- Things to look forward to.
Now, tuck the list away somewhere and take it out whenever you need something to cheer you up. I did this yesterday in an attempt to break my bad mood and so far it’s helped a great deal – I keep mine in my wallet so it’s always nearby! If you have the time you could even make this a weekly/monthly activity, its a good way to take a positive inventory of your life and remember all of the things there are to feel GOOD about.
Just for fun, here’s my own list then & now…
January 12th, 2009
1) My creativity and persistence, my fashion sense, my compassion, my confidence, my intelligence, my emotional nature.
2) Updating this blog regularly for a month, doing well in school, entering (and winning!) my first art show, getting a scholarship to college, getting the part in the Vagina Monologues.
3) My mother and father, my brothers, my grandparents, my boyfriend, my friends Danielle and Sana.
4) Winter break started, Sana loved her Christmas gift, my grades all came back positively, I got to register for all the classes I wanted, I got two pairs of boots for Christmas!
5) The new semester starting soon, The Vagina Monologues in February, seeing friends for the rest of Winter Break.
August 1st 2009
1) My creativity, commitment, writing abilities, persisitence, sense of humor, intelligence, emotional strength.
2) Getting through my first hotline call yesterday without messing up, starting this event & sticking to it, working three jobs this summer, and getting through my first year of college with a good GPA.
3) My family, Danielle, Sana, Travis, my new roomates, Jess, Vikki, Corey.
4) My job ended, I found out I was going to the beach, my family took a trip to Lake Seneca, I got paid, I got chai, I saw Corey for the first time in awhile.
5) My birthday in three days & the beach soon after that!